Sinus can become clogged due to allergies or the common cold. A Neti pot clears your sinuses with saline. Rather than spend money to buy a neti pot or leave the house to get when you do not feel well, you can make a neti pot at home from a water bottle. Within minutes, nasal congestion usually clear up.
- Wash sports bottle and dry completely before using. Pour the crushed sea salt and baking soda in the bottle.
- Add warm water or at room temperature in the cylinder, close and shake to mix the salt, baking soda and water.
- Lean over a sink with the head tilted to the side.Place the spout of the sports bottle in the nostril which is above and gently squeeze the bottle.The solution will flow from the other nostril.
- Switch sides and repeat the previous step.After draining is completed, blow your nose into a tissue to remove mucus remains.Sterilize the Neti pot thoroughly after handling.
Tips & Warnings
- Use the dishwasher or boil for five minutes to sterilize the sports bottle including vintage water bottles. Ensure that high temperatures are safe for the bottle or it will melt.
- If sodium bicarbonate is not available, to the mixture with a little salt and water.
- Do not plug one nostril with sports bottle and keep the other closed simultaneously, or the solution will run in your ears.
- The first time you use a bottle of Neti pot or sports, you can cough or solution may pass into your throat.This decreases with practice and proper use