The Kingdom of Bahrain is an archipelago located in the Persian Gulf, and is home to a population of around 1.5 million people. The majority of Bahrain’s population is made up of Sunni Muslims, who make up approximately 70% of the population, with Shia Muslims comprising the remaining 30%. Other religious minorities include Christians, Hindus and Buddhists.
Bahraini society is known for its religious tolerance and openness to different cultures. The country’s legal system is based on Islamic Sharia law, but also incorporates elements of English common law. This has resulted in a relatively progressive legal system that allows for greater freedom than many other countries in the region.
Bahrain has achieved remarkable progress over recent decades in terms of economic development and social progress, particularly when it comes to education and health care. Education is free up to the age of 16, while health care is subsidized by the government for all citizens.
Despite this progress however, there remain significant challenges within Bahraini society due to ongoing political unrest and a lack of economic opportunities for many citizens. In particular, there are concerns about rising levels of unemployment among young people who are unable to find suitable employment opportunities due to a lack of job-skills or qualifications.
In addition to this, women still face significant levels of gender inequality in terms of access to education and employment opportunities as well as their rights under the law when it comes to issues such as marriage and divorce. Despite some progress in recent years in terms of improving women’s rights, there is still much work to be done if Bahrain wants to achieve true gender equality within its society.
Demographics of Bahrain
The Kingdom of Bahrain is an archipelago located in the Persian Gulf, and is home to a population of around 1.5 million people. According to wholevehicles.com, the majority of Bahrain’s population is made up of Sunni Muslims, who make up approximately 70% of the population, with Shia Muslims comprising the remaining 30%. Other religious minorities include Christians, Hindus and Buddhists.
Bahrain’s population is mainly concentrated in its major cities, with Manama being the most populous city in the country. This city is home to more than 40 percent of Bahrain’s total population, and has a population density that is almost double that of the rest of the country. Other major cities include Muharraq and Riffa.
The official language in Bahrain is Arabic but English is also widely spoken due to its use as a business language by many international companies operating in the country. As such, many schools teach both Arabic and English as part of their curriculum.
In terms of education levels, Bahrain has achieved remarkable progress over recent decades with literacy rates now exceeding 95 percent for adults aged 15 and over. This high level of literacy can be attributed to free education up to the age 16 as well as subsidized health care for all citizens.
When it comes to ethnicity, Bahrain’s population consists primarily of Arabs (90%), with other ethnic groups making up just 10% including South Asians (Indian/Pakistani), Iranians and Europeans/Americans among others.
Overall, Bahrain boasts a diverse society which reflects its openness to different cultures while still retaining its own unique identity. Despite some challenges due to ongoing political unrest and rising levels of unemployment among young people, there remains much potential for economic growth within this small nation if it can harness its human capital and create more opportunities for its citizens.
Poverty in Bahrain
Poverty is a significant issue in Bahrain, with the World Bank estimating that 18.5% of the population lives below the poverty line. This is a higher rate than most countries in the Gulf region, and is due to several factors including rising unemployment, low salaries, and a lack of access to social welfare services. Additionally, there are significant disparities between different groups within Bahrain’s population when it comes to poverty levels. Specifically, young people aged between 15 and 24 are more likely to be living in poverty than any other group.
Unemployment is one of the main drivers of poverty in Bahrain. According to estimates from 2019, unemployment stands at around 4%, however this figure rises significantly among certain groups including young people aged 15-24 (14%), women (6%), and those who have not completed secondary education (10%). Those who are unemployed often struggle to make ends meet due to a lack of income and limited access to social welfare services such as unemployment benefits or food assistance programs.
Low salaries also contribute to poverty in Bahrain. Despite having one of the highest GDP per capita rates in the Middle East, wages remain low for many workers especially those working in unskilled labor jobs or those employed by small businesses with limited resources. As such, many families find it difficult to make ends meet on their current incomes despite working multiple jobs or long hours..
Finally, Bahrain’s economic growth has been unevenly distributed across different sectors which has resulted in a widening gap between those who benefit from economic activity and those who do not. In particular, rural areas often suffer from a lack of investment which has led to lower wages and fewer job opportunities for those living there compared with urban areas where more investment has taken place.
Overall, while there have been some efforts by the government over recent years towards reducing poverty levels such as increasing minimum wages and providing financial assistance for vulnerable families, much work needs to be done if Bahrain is going to reduce its rate of poverty significantly.
Labor Market in Bahrain
According to Countryvv, the labor market in Bahrain is characterized by a diverse range of occupations, from traditional sectors such as oil and gas, construction, and finance to more modern sectors such as information technology and hospitality. The country’s economy is highly reliant on foreign workers who account for over 80% of the total workforce. As such, the labor market in Bahrain is highly competitive with many job seekers competing for limited opportunities.
In terms of wages, salaries vary greatly depending on the sector and qualifications of the individual. Generally speaking, salaries are higher in certain sectors such as finance and oil & gas while those working in unskilled labor jobs or those employed by small businesses tend to earn less. The government has recently introduced a minimum wage which is set at 200 Bahraini Dinars per month (approximately US$530).
The labor market in Bahrain also faces certain challenges including high unemployment rates among young people (14%), women (6%), and those without secondary education (10%). In addition to this, there are significant disparities between different groups within Bahrain’s population when it comes to poverty levels with young people aged 15-24 being particularly vulnerable to poverty.
Despite these challenges, there are several initiatives that have been implemented or proposed by the government in order to improve the labor market in Bahrain. These include increasing minimum wages; providing financial assistance for vulnerable families; investing in training programs for unemployed individuals; creating new job opportunities through public-private partnerships; and introducing policies that promote gender equality within the workforce.
Overall, while there have been some positive steps taken towards improving the labor market in Bahrain over recent years, much work needs to be done if the country is going to reduce its rate of unemployment significantly and ensure that all citizens have access to decent employment opportunities.