According to abbreviationfinder, Managua is the capital city of Nicaragua. Its surface area is 267 km 2, and it has approximately 1.3 million residents. See population of Nicaragua. Managua is located on the southern shore of the Lake Managua (Lake Managua) with an altitude of 82.97 m above sea level and has an average temperature of 27.5 ° C.
Its name, according to some historians, comes from a Nahuatl voice that means “where there is an extension of water”; According to others, it comes from the Nahuatl indigenous word “Manahuac”, which means “surrounded by a pond”. This second interpretation accurately defines the city, since Managua is surrounded by lagoons and is located on the shores of Lake Xolotlán, at the western end of which rises the Momotombo volcano.
Managua already existed since pre-Columbian times along Lake Xolotlán from the Chiltepe peninsula to Tipitapa.
Its residents did not want to participate in the independence struggle that had set the entire continent on fire. That is why in 1819, by a royal decree of King Fernando VII of Spain, it was elevated to a town with the title of “Leal Villa de Santiago de Managua” for having remained loyal to the Spanish government during the independence outbreaks of 1811 in Nicaragua.
The 24 of July of 1846 was elevated to town with the name of Santiago de Managua.
It is the capital of the Republic of Nicaragua since February 5, 1852.
Formerly, the capital was shared by the cities of León and Granada.
In 1856 Managua was occupied by the troops of the American filibuster William Walker, using as a barracks the high house that was the residence of the parish priests and when hearing news of the victory of the legitimist colonel José Dolores Estrada in the battle of San Jacinto on 14 September of the same year.
After the National War the following year (1857) the binary or chachagua government of Tomás Martínez Guerrero (conservative) and Máximo Jerez Tellería (liberal) was installed, beginning the period of the 30 Conservative Years (in reality it was 36 years). In 1875 the Department of Managua was created, separating it from that of Granada.
The November of July of 1893 exploded in Leon the Liberal Revolution, led by General Jose Santos Zelaya Lopez, who came victorious to the capital 14 days, 25 of the same month by the Street of the Triumph, on the day of the feast of the patron saint of the city, the Apostle Santiago; Currently the patron is Santo Domingo de Guzmán, whose image appeared on a tree trunk in the Sierras de Managua in 1885. The Santiago festival received liberal support until 1910, after Zelaya’s resignation the previous year (1909). and that of Santo Domingo received conservative support from that year to the point that today it is considered the patron of Managua, but it is not officially so.
The city was destroyed twice, in 1931 and 1972, by individual earthquakes. These events were particularly harmful to the buildings located in the center of the city, made of adobe and taquezal, so the new urban planners chose to build new streets and neighborhoods on the outskirts of the old city. The 22 January as as 1967, on Roosevelt Avenue, the notorious Roosevelt Avenue Massacre was carried out in which soldiers of the National Guard (GN) fired their American M1 Garand rifles, 7.62 x 63 mm caliber, against a demonstration of the National Opposition Union (UNO) on the corner of the National Bank of Nicaragua (BNN) (today it is the National Assembly of Nicaragua), which was protesting against the then President of Nicaragua Lorenzo Guerrero Gutiérrez.
If you look from the surrounding hills, you see nothing but trees, as most of the buildings are single-story, and covered by the abundant vegetation of Managua; Only a few buildings exceed the trees and in particular the Bank of America, the tallest building in the country. Managua, is perhaps the only country capital, you can feel in the country being in that city. Another curiosity of Managua is its address system: some streets have names, but nobody knows them, they are located with the cardinal points, starting from the Known point of reference: where the Arbolito came from, one block to the Lake, and 25 yards above (Up is the East, down the West, to the Lake is to the North, only for the South the usual word is used)
Lake Managua, the younger brother of Lake Nicaragua, beautifies the city, giving it the appearance of a port. This topography ensures a promising tourist future for Managua, if the shore of the Lake can be rescued, and if it is conditioned for tourism. Let’s hope that in time the managuas (residents of Managua) will rediscover their lake. Until the last century, Managua was a town, and it grew rapidly after being elevated to the rank of Capital in 1852, as a result of a competition for this role between Granada and León. For that reason, it does not have a colonial neighborhood, nor has it.