According to top-medical-schools, Monroe City, Indiana is a small city located in the Midwestern United States. Geographically, Monroe City is situated in the Wabash Valley region of Indiana, near the Wabash River. The city is surrounded by rolling hills and lush farmland, with a few small lakes and ponds dotting the landscape. The climate in Monroe City is typically mild throughout the year, with temperatures ranging from cool to warm during spring and summer months. During winter months, temperatures remain relatively moderate due to its proximity to Lake Michigan.
History-wise, Monroe City was founded in 1836 by settlers from Virginia who were seeking new opportunities in the Midwest. Since then, it has grown steadily into a vibrant town that has been home to generations of families and businesses alike. Politically speaking, Monroe City is a staunchly conservative city that typically votes Republican in presidential elections. It also boasts an active local government that works hard to ensure its citizens have access to quality services and amenities.
Economically speaking, Monroe City has long been an agricultural hub for the region with many family-owned farms providing fresh produce for local markets and beyond. Additionally, several large industrial plants have opened up shop in recent years providing employment opportunities for residents of all ages and backgrounds. Schools within Monroe City are served by three school districts: South Union School Corporation (K-12), West Union School Corporation (K-8), and East Union School Corporation (K-12). Each district provides quality education for students living within their respective boundaries as well as offering extracurricular activities such as sports teams and clubs for students to participate in outside of class time.
When it comes to landmarks within the city limits there are quite a few noteworthy ones worth mentioning such as Heritage Hall Museum which showcases historical artifacts from around the world; Clifty Falls State Park which offers stunning views of waterfalls; Pioneer Village which features log cabins from early settlers; and Fort Ouiatenon which was once used as an outpost during colonial times by French fur traders. All of these attractions serve as great reminders of what makes Monroe City unique!
Population: 548. Estimated population in July 2020: 531 (-3.1% change)
Males: 265 (48.4%), Females: 283 (51.6%)
Zip code: 47557
Median resident age: 39.1 years
Median household income: $32,788
Median house value: $48,600
Races in Monroe City:
- White Non-Hispanic (99.1%)
- Two or more races (0.5%)
Ancestries: United States (17.0%), German (15.1%), English (10.4%), Irish (7.5%), French (5.1%), Dutch (2.6%).
Elevation: 520 feet
Land area: 0.3 square miles
Monroe City, Indiana is a small town located in the southeastern corner of the state. It has a population of just over 5,000 people and covers an area of 4.5 square miles. The town is situated in a rural area and is surrounded by cornfields and woodlands. The population of Monroe City is made up mostly of families, with an average household size of 3 people. Most residents work in the agricultural industry or related fields such as food processing plants or packinghouses. There are also many small businesses located in Monroe City including restaurants, grocery stores, and other retail stores that cater to the needs of local residents. The town also boasts a few tourist attractions such as a historic downtown area and a nearby lake for fishing and swimming activities. The town is well known for its friendly people and its laid-back atmosphere which makes it an attractive place to live. Education is important to the citizens of Monroe City, with most children attending one of the four elementary schools or middle school in town. There are also several churches located throughout Monroe City that offer religious services for members of different faiths as well as community gatherings for special events like festivals and holiday celebrations. Finally, Monroe City has been able to maintain its unique sense of identity while still providing services to its citizens that keep them connected to the larger world around them through access to modern technology like high-speed internet and cell phone service providers.
For population 25 years and over in Monroe City
- High school or higher: 82.2%
- Bachelor’s degree or higher: 9.6%
- Graduate or professional degree: 3.4%
- Unemployed: 2.9%
- Mean travel time to work: 28.3 minutes
For population 15 years and over in Monroe City town
- Never married: 20.2%
- Now married: 58.6%
- Separated: 1.9%
- Widowed: 8.5%
- Divorced: 10.8%
0.0% Foreign born
Population change in the 1990s: +12 (+2.2%).
Hospitals/medical centers near Monroe City:
- GOOD SAMARITAN HOSPITAL (about 12 miles; VINCENNES, IN)
- DAVIESS COMMUNITY HOSPITAL (about 13 miles; WASHINGTON, IN)
- WIRTH REGIONAL HOSPITAL (about 21 miles; OAKLAND CITY, IN)
Airports certified for carrier operations nearest to Monroe City:
- EVANSVILLE REGIONAL (about 42 miles; EVANSVILLE, IN; Abbreviation: EVV)
- TERRE HAUTE INTERNATIONAL-HULMAN FIELD (about 58 miles; TERRE HAUTE, IN; Abbreviation: HUF)
- OWENSBORO-DAVIESS COUNTY (about 63 miles; OWENSBORO, KY; Abbreviation: OWB)
Other public-use airports nearest to Monroe City:
- O’NEAL (about 15 miles; VINCENNES, IN; Abbreviation: OEA)
- DAVIESS COUNTY (about 18 miles; WASHINGTON, IN; Abbreviation: DCY)
- LAWRENCEVILLE-VINCENNES INTL (about 20 miles; LAWRENCEVILLE, IL; Abbreviation: LWV)
Colleges and Universities
Colleges/universities with over 2000 students nearest to Monroe City:
- VINCENNES UNIVERSITY (about 12 miles; VINCENNES, IN; Full-time enrollment: 6,201)
- TRINITY THEOLOGICAL SEMINARY-TRINITY COLLEGE (about 46 miles; NEWBURGH, IN; Full-time enrollment: 2,986)
- UNIVERSITY OF EVANSVILLE (about 47 miles; EVANSVILLE, IN; Full-time enrollment: 2,440)
- UNIVERSITY OF SOUTHERN INDIANA (about 49 miles; EVANSVILLE, IN; Full-time enrollment: 7,510)
- IVY TECH STATE COLLEGE-WABASH VALLEY (about 54 miles; TERRE HAUTE, IN; Full-time enrollment: 2,099)
- INDIANA STATE UNIVERSITY (about 59 miles; TERRE HAUTE, IN; Full-time enrollment: 9,597)
- INDIANA UNIVERSITY-BLOOMINGTON (about 70 miles; BLOOMINGTON, IN; Full-time enrollment: 33,835)