Payette, Idaho is a small city located in the western part of the state and is home to an estimated population of 7,433 people. It is situated in the Payette River Valley, and is surrounded by mountains which provide a beautiful backdrop. The climate in Payette can be described as mild and semi-arid with hot summers and cold winters. The area experiences an average of 11 inches of precipitation annually. See topbbacolleges for information about Ada County, Idaho.
The history of Payette dates back to 1864 when it was first settled by miners who were drawn to the area by its natural resources. In 1883, the city was incorporated and has since grown into a vibrant community with a thriving economy. The economy in Payette is largely based on agriculture, tourism, and manufacturing industries.
Payette has several schools including several elementary schools, one middle school and one high school. These schools are part of the Payette School District which also includes several other smaller districts within its boundaries.
The city has several landmarks that are worth visiting including Lake Cascade State Park, Snake River Canyon Scenic Byway, Snake River Birds of Prey National Conservation Area, and many more scenic areas that offer visitors plenty to explore. Additionally, there are several cultural events held throughout the year such as the Annual Western Idaho Fair which takes place each summer at Expo Idaho in Garden City.
Population: 7,054. Estimated population in July 2020: 7,560 (+7.2% change)
Males: 3,431 (48.6%), Females: 3,623 (51.4%)
Zip code: 83661
Median resident age: 32.4 years
Median household income: $29,375
Median house value: $79,500
Races in Payette:
- White Non-Hispanic (80.7%)
- Hispanic (15.8%)
- Other race (7.7%)
- Two or more races (2.8%)
- American Indian (2.3%)
(Total can be greater than 100% because Hispanics could be counted in other races)
Ancestries: German (18.0%), English (12.2%), United States (10.2%), Irish (8.2%), Italian (3.3%), Dutch (2.9%).
Elevation: 2150 feet
Land area: 3.4 square miles
Payette, Idaho is a small city located in the western part of the state. It has a population of about 5,200 people, with a median age of 37.6 years. The median household income is $41,845 and the median home value is $113,400. Renters account for 34% of the population and owners account for 66%. The cost of living in Payette is 8% lower than the national average and 9% lower than the state average. Housing costs are 17% lower than the national average and 14% lower than the state average. Utilities are 8% lower than both averages. Groceries are 7% higher than both averages and health care is 3% higher than both averages. Transportation costs are 6% higher than both averages. Overall, Payette offers affordable living for its residents with a low cost of living that allows them to stretch their dollars further without sacrificing quality of life or access to amenities like shopping, dining, recreation and more.
For population 25 years and over in Payette
- High school or higher: 70.4%
- Bachelor’s degree or higher: 7.3%
- Graduate or professional degree: 2.2%
- Unemployed: 7.2%
- Mean travel time to work: 18.2 minutes
For population 15 years and over in Payette city
- Never married: 21.2%
- Now married: 57.5%
- Separated: 1.6%
- Widowed: 7.8%
- Divorced: 11.9%
5.3% Foreign born (4.3% Latin America, 0.6% Europe).
Population change in the 1990s: +1,208 (+20.7%).
Hospitals/medical centers near Payette:
- HOLY ROSARY MEDICAL CENTER (about 5 miles; ONTARIO, OR)
- WEISER MEMORIAL HOSPITAL (about 17 miles; WEISER, ID)
- WALTER KNOX MEMORIAL HOSPITAL (about 32 miles; EMMETT, ID)
Airports certified for carrier operations nearest to Payette:
- BOISE AIR TERMINAL/GOWEN FLD (about 62 miles; BOISE, ID; Abbreviation: BOI)
- LEWISTON-NEZ PERCE COUNTY (about 158 miles; LEWISTON, ID; Abbreviation: LWS)
- WALLA WALLA REGIONAL (about 167 miles; WALLA WALLA, WA; Abbreviation: ALW)
Other public-use airports nearest to Payette:
- PAYETTE MUNI (about 3 miles; PAYETTE, ID; Abbreviation: S75)
- ONTARIO MUNI (about 7 miles; ONTARIO, OR; Abbreviation: ONO)
- WEISER MUNI (about 9 miles; WEISER, ID; Abbreviation: S87)
Amtrak station near Payette:
- 4 miles: ONTARIO (510 N. OREGON ST.) – Bus Station. Services: enclosed waiting area, public restrooms, public payphones, free short-term parking, call for taxi service.
Colleges and Universities
Colleges/universities with over 2000 students nearest to Payette:
- BOISE STATE UNIVERSITY (about 64 miles; BOISE, ID; Full-time enrollment: 12,033)
- EASTERN OREGON UNIVERSITY (about 118 miles; LA GRANDE, OR; Full-time enrollment: 2,192)
- LEWIS-CLARK STATE COLLEGE (about 160 miles; LEWISTON, ID; Full-time enrollment: 2,213)
- WALLA WALLA COMMUNITY COLLEGE (about 169 miles; WALLA WALLA, WA; Full-time enrollment: 2,812)
- UNIVERSITY OF IDAHO (about 191 miles; MOSCOW, ID; Full-time enrollment: 9,823)
- WASHINGTON STATE UNIVERSITY (about 197 miles; PULLMAN, WA; Full-time enrollment: 18,110)
- COLLEGE OF SOUTHERN IDAHO (about 201 miles; TWIN FALLS, ID; Full-time enrollment: 3,433)
Public high schools in Payette:
- PAYETTE HIGH SCHOOL (Students: 542; Location: 1500 6TH AVENUE SOUTH; Grades: 09 – 12)
- PAYETTE ALTERNATIVE HIGH (Students: 47; Location: 1215 CENTER AVENUE; Grades: 09 – 12)
Private high school in Payette:
- PAYETTE CHRISTIAN ACADEMY (Students: 83; Location: 800 17TH AVE N; Grades: PK – 12)
Public primary/middle schools in Payette:
- PAYETTE PRIMARY SCHOOL (Students: 549; Location: 1320 3RD AVENUE NORTH; Grades: PK – 03)
- MC CAIN MIDDLE SCHOOL (Students: 417; Location: 1215 CENTER AVENUE; Grades: 06 – 08)
- WESTSIDE ELEMENTARY SCHOOL (Students: 292; Location: 609 NORTH 5TH STREET; Grades: 04 – 05)
Private primary/middle school in Payette:
- TREASURE VALLEY SEVENTH DAY AD (Students: 19; Location: PO BOX 396; Grades: 1 – 8)
Library in Payette:
- PAYETTE PUBLIC (Operating income: $137,010; Location: 24 S 10TH ST; 24,843 books; 713 audio materials; 611 video materials; 65 serial subscriptions)