Working Holiday in Australia

Working Holiday in Australia

Combine your holiday in Australia with work and experience the Australian culture and everyday life up close. This travel proposal gives you a flight ticket with a duration of 12 months, a visa for a “working holiday” and 2 nights in a hostel.

Australia and Sweden have a collaboration that makes it possible for Swedish citizens to combine holidays and work in Australia as featured on calculatorinc. With a work holiday visa, you can stay in Australia for up to a year, and you can work for up to 6 months for the same employer and study for up to 4 months.

It is a great financial complement if you want to travel around Australia but have not quite managed to save enough from home.

The application process is quick and easy. Once you have paid for your visa, you will be called by English-speaking staff and together you will go through the application form.

We can help you get a tax number, which is necessary so that you do not have to pay about 40% in tax on what you earn. We can also help you get a bank account, so you can get paid by your employer, as well as get an Australian SIM card, so you can use your mobile immediately when you land.

Best travel period

The seasons in Australia are reversed compared to the Swedish ones. When it’s winter in Sweden, it’s summer in Australia. But Australia spreads over so many climate zones that there can be both snow and heatwave at the same time in different parts of the country. It also means you can visit Australia all year round, depending on where you are going.

Detailed itinerary

Day 1: Departure from Scandinavia

Departure from Scandinavia to Sydney.

Day 2-4: Sydney

After arriving in Sydney, head to your hostel in the city center. You then have two nights in a hostel in a dormitory room. At your hostel you can find information and help finding a job, free internet and free luggage storage for up to a month.

Day ?: Continued adventures

Now your adventure continues. Either you travel around Australia and experience the country or you have 12 months to stay and work. If you want help booking extra nights in Sydney or planning the entire trip, contact us. We collaborate with Visa First, who are experts on work visas. It all goes easily and quickly. Once you have paid for your visa, you will be called by Visa First’s English-speaking staff and together you will go through the application form.

Overnight stays

Two nights at a hostel in Sydney


You can only apply for a Working Holiday visa once in your life, but there is an exception that it can be obtained twice, if during your first stay you have worked at least three months with seasonal work such as fruit picking.

Your visa is electronic and registered via your passport number. Therefore, it is IMPORTANT that you travel with the same passport with which you have applied for a visa.

Your visa is valid for 12 months and entitles you to stay in Australia for 12 months. You can travel in and out of the country within the validity period.

There are some criteria that must be met in order for you to apply for a work visa:

  • You must be between 18-31 years old (the application must be made before you turn 31).
  • You must have a passport from one of the countries with which Australia has a partnership (Denmark, Belgium, Canada, Chile, Cyprus, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Hong Kong, Ireland, Japan, Korea, Malta, the Netherlands, Norway, Sweden , Taiwan, Thailand, Turkey or the United Kingdom).
  • Your passport must be valid for at least 18 months from your entry into Australia.
  • You must not have been punished.
  • You must be in good health.
  • You must not have children.
  • You must have enough money to support yourself until you find work.

The processing of your application may be delayed if any of the above things need to be investigated, so it is a good idea to apply in good time.

Please note that the processing of a Working Holiday visa may also be delayed if you:

  • Have a child.
  • Will work in healthcare and with younger children.
  • Has or has had / suffered from particularly serious illnesses.
  • Has undergone a health check for a special reason.
  • Has lived for more than three months in the last five years in a country (China, India, Indonesia, Malaysia, Pakistan, the Philippines, Russia, South Africa, South Korea, Thailand and Vietnam) that is considered to have a high health risk for tuberculosis, so a lung x-ray required to show that you are not infected. Lung X-rays must be done at selected hospitals.
  • Has been convicted of an unlawful act.
  • Has been deported or asked to leave another country.
  • Has been in military service in addition to normal military service.

This is just a selection of prices / flight options for trips to Australia. Call us for more prices and flight options.

Working Holiday in Australia

About the author